Wednesday, February 4, 2009

ON DREAMING IN MIDDLE ENGLISH

Last night I dreamt I had to swim across Lake Tuscaloosa while carrying poems on my back.

It was a competition. Backstroke, breaststroke, all these bodies laughing and trying to keep the sealed envelopes from getting wet. We weren't allowed to read the poems until we reached the other side. I did very poorly because my poem was so, so heavy. That's fitting. Lately: all my heavy intentions leave me tired all day, everyday.

In other news I wrote a story about the man in the moon. Whose name is Charles. And I guess it's about more than that. It's about bones and questions and my mother. And sex. Inevitably.

I have had a cold for two weeks. This is no good. It is very hard to seduce a boy you like when you're all sniffly.

When I reached the other side of the lake and opened my envelope, it was the Canterbury Tales. That's why it was so heavy.

No comments: